Fire Department History

On June 27, 1947, forty-eight Mendota Township residents gathered at Louis Fischer's Twin Cities Country Club to initate formation of the township's first volunteer fire department. 

On August 14, 1947, the volunteers received their first call.  Unfortunately the department lacked equipment.  They did the best they could with no equipment. 

On August 15, 1947, a 1946 GMC truck arrived with 950 feet of hose, 12 fire coats, 12 helmets, and 12 pair of boots.  It was fitted with a 400 gallon tank and a pump capable of delivering 500 gallons of water per minute.  The truck cost $6,250, plus $1,000 for hoses, nozzles, and extinguishers.